Friday, May 9, 2008

As the gloom settled over me today, I decided to take a walk. I took a street I had never seen before, and followed it to the end. At the end of the street there was a path, with acorn trees arching over it. I continued along this path until I discovered a meadow, where wild mint was growing in clumps.
In the wild mint there were lady bugs, maybe 10 or 20. Out past the meadow the trail continued. I followed into the foothills until I feared I would not find my way home.

The sudden, expected sights of a new place brought me out of my mood and elevated everything to a different reality, one where I was no longer the obsessive center of my own attention. The world is out there waiting for me, for all of us, and there are wonders in our back yard.

The trick is to develop the eyes with which to see them.

No comments: